In the interest of the health of our members, and working under guidelines put forth by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, Operating Engineers 324 has decided to take the following measures:
- The March General Membership Meeting scheduled for March 18, 2020 in Detroit is cancelled.
- The Retiree Picnic scheduled for March 22, 2020 in Tarpon Springs, Florida is cancelled
- The Region III Area Meeting scheduled for March 26, 2020 in Battle Creek is cancelled.
In addition to these cancellations, Operating Engineers 324 advises all members and apprentices:
- Call the OE324 Construction Career Center (517-546-9610) in Howell to see if a class you have scheduled has been altered
- Call the OE324 Stationary Education Center (313-532-5345) in Detroit to see if a class you have scheduled has been altered
- Please call ahead before visiting any of the OE324 offices.
These steps allow Operating Engineers 324 to continue to offer services for members without interruption, while joining in efforts to slow the progress of the coronavirus, or COVID-19.
Patients with confirmed infection have reportedly had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
- Shortness of breath
The best prevention for viruses, such as influenza, the common cold or COVID-19 is to:
- If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, call your health care provider. If you do not have a health care provider, call the nearest hospital.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home, and avoid contact with others.
- Replace handshakes with elbow bumps.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others when in a public setting.
Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at Michigan.gov/Coronavirus and CDC.gov/Coronavirus.